lindisfarnechat.myfreeforum.org Forum Index lindisfarnechat.myfreeforum.org
Celebrating the music of Lindisfarne and the extended Lindisfarne family

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

winter song
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lindisfarnechat.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> THE MAIN MESSAGE BOARD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rattlebollocks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: winter song  Reply with quote

After the christmas doo, I cant stop singing the winter song to myself. can anyone tell me if this was ever released as a single and if not why not, the lyrics and chords are lindisfarnetastic. a work of art. Alan Hulls masterpiece.Hope you all enjoyed the doo as I did. Very Happy
marty53

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I play Winter Song I keep thinking why this was never a big Xmas hit. Was it because the band never wanted it released as a Xmas single. I'm sure if it was marketed properly ( even now ) it would become one of the great Xmas records.
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Winter Song Reply with quote

Agree Winter Song is one of the best songs ever written. In fact I don't think you will have any dissenters on this site, but a Xmas hit?? you mean like Ernie the fastest milkman in the West 1971 Long haired lover from Liverpool 1972 I think I can guess why it was not deemed suitable. Of course in later years it has got a lot better... Mistletoe and wine 1988 Mr Blobby 1993
as they say in court (not in the act) I rest my case Laughing
tempusfugit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it was on Christmas TOTP II quite recently,
and with Elvis Costello also covering it,we might have a number one in the hit parade (yes i'm that old)
maybe next christmas. I can remember doing a Christmas mix tape on
cassette ( look it up youngun's) with the 1977 live vinyl version.
As Jacka said on the 23rd show.... Now that's what i call a christmas song. Very Happy
Mr Inbetween

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, Winter Song has never been released by Lindisfarne as a single, but it was the 'b' side of Brand New Day. While BND was a studio recording, Winter Song was live. Given the 1978 release date, my guess is that it's the track from Magic in the Air (it sounds the same, too).

Did anyone notice that Dave changed a lyric? It's on the CD as well.
Mick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my all time favourites, there have been a few cover versions, including Wizz Jones, Albion Christmas Band (who recorded an album called 'Winter Songs') and Def Leppard!

I think my best memory of hearing it live was on the 2003 tour at The Point, Cardiff, when the whole audience joined in with the song - something I'd never known before.  Brilliant.
rattlebollocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: winter song Reply with quote

Aye the man did say that, with a reference to not a reindeer in sight. I know there are loads of artists aiming to have a christmas hit, and there tends to be a lot of crap amongst them, but there are the odd gem, my all time favourite being fairytale of new york. I must say I never noticed the lyric change by mr H D. Howay then mr Jacko what about it, re recorded and released this back end, I would put money on it being up there with the best of them, even better than the Pogues and Kirsty,
tempusfugit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Winter Song was written around Christmas 1968 as Apollo 8
(yes i'm that old) was orbiting the moon, and Jim Lovell commented
on his first orbit of the moon,when radio communications came back on after a 30 minute cut out while on the dark side "Please be assured there is a
Santa Claus"
marty53

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everybody agrees it is a great song , up with the best Alan has ever written, I just wondered why somebody from the record company at that time didn't see the potential and get the band to do a version they could release as a single. If it was a b-side to Brand New Day then I think commercially it would have been more suited to be the a-side, or was it the bands decision not to do it ?
rattlebollocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: WINTER SONG Reply with quote

Aye, I have wondered were that lyric came from Tempus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lindisfarnechat.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> THE MAIN MESSAGE BOARD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: