lindisfarnechat.myfreeforum.org Forum Index lindisfarnechat.myfreeforum.org
Celebrating the music of Lindisfarne and the extended Lindisfarne family

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remember Morgan Le Fay? (non-LF-related content..)
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lindisfarnechat.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> THE MAIN MESSAGE BOARD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Remember Morgan Le Fay? (non-LF-related content..)  Reply with quote

...apologies for the non-Lindisfarne content, but a few old-time posters here may remember a band I was in a few years ago, Morgan Le Fay.

Well, we haven't played together since, but we got together at the Maggie Bank last Wednesday and played a few tunes. Totally out of the blue with no rehearsals....!

I thought a couple of you might like to see a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o06Xtftfjng

Just like riding a bike. Kind-of.
Chris Groom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work, Mr B.
I liked the 'Glororum' album...
Derek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Michael- really enjoyed that!  No chance of a tour....?!

I like both Morgan Le Fay albums and shortly after the release of "Beautiful Land" I looked forward to seeing them in Bootleggers Music Bar in Kendal- unfortunately that mini-tour to promote the album was suddenly cancelled and I never had the chance to see Brereton Preen in action!

Now I have.. plus a fantastic backing band!
Barry-USA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael:

Can't access youtube from work, but will watch tonite at home. Looking forward to it.  Despite my prior relationship with Pat Garrett, I never did get to see your band in America. Not really sure why, as I saw some of Pat's other bands, such as Equation & Tarras.
Edwina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember them well, great music, good to see you back together.
Craig Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I know absolutely nothing about the band Michael, could you, or someone else fill me in?

Great video though, especially the excellent bass player  Wink haha seriously though, great performance and hope to see some more of MLF  Very Happy
patta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found and bought the Glororum album on Ebay on the strength of the YouTube vid of 'Rothbury Chardonnay Queen'.

I'm having trouble finding any info on the band at all, other than what is in the CD inlay, which misses out writing credits etc.

What's the story behind the aforementioned track?
Is it an original Morgan Le Fay?

Am enjoying the album, when I get a chance to listen to it.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Patta

Thanks for your interest.. here's a potted history.

Morgan Le Fay were a band based around Whitley Bay-ish, and existed for most of the 1990's into the early noughties.

Initially, it revolved around two singer/songwriters.. The folky-yet Transatlantic Brereton Preen, and the folky-yet English Simon Todd (recently re-emerged at http://www.simontodd.co.uk/). Pretty much uniquely for the time, the lead instrument was a violin.

After much local gigging, the band splintered in the mid-90s and reformed shortly afterwards, this time minus Simon Todd, but bolstered by accordion. This line-up of the band was it's most successful, and gigged incessantly around the North-East and occasionally beyond. They also recorded their debut CD 'Glororum' at the same studio Alan Hull recorded 'Statues and Liberties' at.

The hard work was rewarded when, thanks to Reinhard Groll (lindisfarne.co.uk webmaster) the band were spotted by Lindisfarne's US tour agent Pat Garrett who offered to bring the band over the Atlantic.

After a brief trip to Arizona to play some shows in 2000, the band returned in 2001 for a longer tour of the west coast of the USA.

By the end of the tour, the band were reduced to a duo of Brereton Preen and an accordion player (don't ask), and then relaunched in the UK with a completely different line-up. After releasing another CD, 'Beautiful Land', the band was wound down around 2004-ish. And that was that...

...until now. And hopefully more is to come. Fingers crossed.

'Rothbury Chardonnay Queen', like virtually all of 'Glororum', is a Brereton Preen original. It's about antipodean wine. Apparently...!
Caroline

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Morgan Whey Hey! Reply with quote

I remember you and Rach being in the band Michael.I bought the Glororum Too album and you signed it for me.Great band, loved the singers voice (Brereton Preen?), very sexy!
I've not heard that album for ages, I'm going to give it an airing right now.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great band they were. Saw them many times at Magnesia bank. By coincidence I met their original violinist 'wild Mike' at the Sage last Christmas where he was playing a wicked 5 string Bass and a 6 string electric violin!. Brilliant. Whats the singer doing now? Brerreton Preen he had evil eyes![and a great voice]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    lindisfarnechat.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> THE MAIN MESSAGE BOARD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: